The Importance of Maintaining Your Bicyles & How To Do It Right
We live in a world of fast technological advancements, and like every aspect of our lives, even cycles have seen quite some improvements over the years. We have cycles that come with specific functions; some have suspensions for a shock-free ride, while there are a few that come with rigid forks. It is these features that make a bicycle truly an experience, and for these features to run smoothly, we need regular bike maintenance. Let's go over a few more reasons why bicycle maintenance is necessary:
- Ensure the safety of the cycle: We should not wait for something major to happen before taking our cycles to the mechanic. Rather, regular maintenance keeps the cycle working like a well-oiled machine. A bicycle is made up of so many screws and features like brakes which require regular check-ups; we don't want a faulty brake when we are descending down on an MTB on a particularly tricky trail. We are only ensuring our safety by getting our cycles checked and maintained.
- Regular maintenance is cheaper than purchasing a new cycle: Cycles are not exactly cheap, and it isn't feasible to throw away a cycle as soon as it starts to deteriorate. People keep their cycles for years, and part of the reason they can do so is because of regular maintenance. If you get your cycle tuned up regularly, you wouldn't have to buy a new cycle. Following some basic bicycle maintenance tips is good enough and will help you retain your cycle for longer and help you save up on your hard-earned money.
- Keeps the bike in good shape: Regular maintenance of the cycle, especially an Mtb bike maintenance, since they go through so much wear and tear, will ensure superior performance. A cycle that works in optimal condition will offer you an experience of a lifetime. Make sure that you are getting the brake pads fixed, every screw is working properly, and all the cables are functioning optimally as well. Make sure that the tires are well-inflated, too; it makes all the difference in the world.
Now that we've learned of the important reasons let's go over some easy-to-do tips that will help us tune our rides to perfection. Remember, smaller maintenance tricks done on a regular basis will help us in the long run instead of major fixtures once in a long while. Here we have some bike maintenance tips which will help us ace our rides. For some of us, it can be a difficult task, but the more familiar we get with our cycles, the easier the maintenance gets.
- Wash your cycle regularly: A well-maintained bicycle is a clean bicycle. Clean your bike regularly with water, soap solution, and a nice microfibre rag. Remove the dirt, grease, and mud from your cycle to keep it looking pristine. From the derailleurs to chains, tires to pedals, and breaks to seats, they all need to be cleaned.
- Take to a mechanic for regular servicing: Just like cars need regular servicing, similarly, bicycles need to have servicing centers. The mechanic at these centers take a thorough look at your cycles and perform any major repairs. They may also suggest some upgrades. Lastly, they can also clean up your bike in a thorough manner.
- Lubrication is important: The drivetrain of a cycle is an important section of the cycle, and we have the chain as an integral part of our drivetrain. Lubrication is important if we want our chain to function properly. Wipe any old grease and dirt from the chain and apply the necessary amount of lubricant. If your cycle has heavy grease, then you can use chain cleaner too.
- Regular inspections will take you a long way: Regular inspections, like checking whether your brake pads are in good condition or not, are one of the things that makes regular inspections important. Check your brakes and see if they are functioning properly or not. You should also see if the air pressure on your tires is at an optimal level or not. Lastly, see if all the nuts and bolts are tight and in their places. A regular inspection will help you see if your cycle needs any urgent care or not.
- Have a bicycle maintenance kit: A bicycle maintenance kit is one of the handiest items an avid cyclist can have. In fact, you can carry this kit with you on your many cycling expeditions and stay one step ahead of any emergency that may present itself. A cycle maintenance kit can have a portable cycling pump, an extra tube, some wrenches and screwdrivers, and a dirty rag to clean things up quickly. You should also learn to fix a flat tire and do some patching in case a demand presents itself.
The tips above are simple and help us build a special bond with our cycles; it is important that we carry out these tips regularly. Failing to care for our bicycles can bite us at moments when we need them the most. You don't want your cycle failing in the middle of a highway with no mechanic around you or on a wild trail, either. We are only putting our safety in a precarious position by pushing away important maintenance tricks. Caring for our bicycles isn't difficult; it just takes a little effort, that's all.
Cycling AdventuresThe Best Mountain Biking Trails In India
From the daunting Himalayas to the lush Munnar, India is full of exciting and thrilling mountain biking trails. Read on for more….
Cycling AdventuresUp and Close with Indian MTB Champion Shiven Aerohawk
Unveiling the journey of Shiven Aerohawk - one of India’s best MTB racers. Here’s an interesting bit of our tête-à-tête with this inspiring cyclist.